HOW TO GET RID OF OBESITY THROUGH PROPER NUTRITION
Obesity is a condition that is associated with having an excess amount of body fat, defined by genetic, behavioral and environmental factors. An adult with a BMI of 30 or greater is considered to have obesity.
Obesity results from an imbalance between calorie intake and calorie expenditure, that cause excessive accumulation of fat in various parts like adipose tissue, liver, muscle, pancreatic islets, and other organs involved in metabolism which increases the risk of many diseases like diabetes, coronary artery disease, fatty liver, gall stones, sleep apnea, arthritis, and cancer and may shorten the lifespan.
As per the best nutritionist in Delhi, there are many causes that directly or indirectly contribute to obesity. Behavioral, Environmental and genetic factor are the major causes. Out of all the very important aspects that you can control obesity are food intake and physical activity. In this article, we discuss few most important causes of Obesity:
Quality and Quantity of Food:
- The cause of obesity mostly depends upon the quality and quantity of food we eat. A good quality food is balanced with all the major nutrients like Complex carbohydrate, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals. A poor quality diet means when there is imbalance in the nutrients like more of simple carbohydrates, more of saturated fats, and less protein and lack of vitamins, minerals and fiber for example- highly processed snacks (samosa, chips), Refined grains, sugars, fried foods, foods high in saturated and trans and high glycemic index foods like potato. More of this food intake is lacking in fiber. Excessive consumption of these foods tend to increase your fat mass, elevate blood glucose level very quickly, which causes your pancreas to produce more insulin to prevent your blood glucose from getting too high, which will lead to deposition of fat in the cells, which will subsequently leads to lower your metabolism. When we talk about the quantity of food, it meant the amount of food and the amount of nutrients as well. Usually more food we take, the more calorie we intake which again leads to deposition of fat in the body leading to obesity. It means the increase in food intake than your body burns it.
Sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise:
- The person who sits more than 5 hours at workplace is considered to be sedentary life styled person. Few of the things like people who watch TV and sleep a lot, Desk job, and home makers. These people have a low BMR as they do not utilize the energy from food they ingest gets deposited as fat around the body organs. Increased amount of calorie intake and lack of physical activity leads to obesity.
Health condition and Medications
- The higher risk of weight gain and obesity is when a person is with a medical condition like hypothyroid, PCOS, Diabetes, Cushing syndrome because of some hormonal problems.
Certain medications causes weight gain and obesity such as antidepressants, Antipsychotics, Diabetes medications, Anti hypertensive, certain hormones such as oral contraceptives, and most corticosteroids. These medications may stimulate appetite, Fat storage, Lower metabolism and may increases fluid retention, Fatigue, impair exercise tolerance leading to obesity.
- Food gives us pleasure. In most people eating food became an emotional factor. Many people eat excessively when they are in anger, sadness, alone, anxiety, stressed which causes unhealthy eating habits leading to obesity and weight gain. Among the psychological factors, binging and purging can cause ups and downs in blood sugar levels that may confuse the brain and lead to food craving states thebest nutritionist in Mumbai.
- A person is more likely to get obese if one or both parents are obese. Certain genes code the hormones involved in fat regulation. One genetic cause of Obesity is leptin deficiency. Leptin is a Hunger suppressor hormone that is released from the fat cells helps by signaling the brain to eat less when the fat stores are high but because of some reason, the leptin hormone does not work the way it has to. It does not signal the brain to eat less, which leads the person to overeat and causes obesity.