Whether you’re nomadic or just want a change of scenery, it’s hard to deny the appeal of travel. It breaks up the monotony and opens our eyes to new places. But with the rising costs of travel, where can we go on a budget? Which are the cheap places to travel to? Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or an adventure solo trip, you can find great travel deals around the world. From the southern tip of Africa to the exotic islands of Southeast Asia, there are places to go with volcanoes, deserts, and mountains and best of all, most are pretty affordable.
If you’re looking for cheap places to travel on a shoestring budget, your best bets are these ten destinations. These are ten popular places throughout the world where it would be inexpensive for you to travel as an individual traveller.
Cheap Places to Travel around the World
Visiting the land of smiles is not expensive, and the cost of living is relatively low for those traveling in Thailand. It provides endless attractions for its own citizens and tourists alike with a full package of activities and interests. These include sporting, shopping, cultural and entertainment options. There are some costly areas, particularly in tourist centers and beach resorts, but there are still plenty of affordable cheap vacation villas and hotel rooms. You can check out Thai’s classic Khao Chae dish which is very popular during the summer, here’s a list of places where you can try it out in Thailand. Each province has its own culture, so research well what your group wants.
Tips for visiting Thailand:
- Like most other Asian countries, Thailand has its own sense of etiquette. This applies to both locals and tourists. Following the Thai cultural norms can help you avoid any offense or embarrassment.
- Foreigners are expected to address Thais with their titles. This is especially true for the elders and Thais of higher social statuses.
- The Thai people are religious, so there are some considerations when taking photos inside Buddhist temples and shrines.
- It is required that tourists cover their knees and shoulders while visiting any religious sites.
- The culture is generally very modest and reserved, but this varies from individual to individual. Regardless of how liberal you may think yourself to be, it is still best to remain respectful when interacting with the locals.
- Smoking in public areas is banned, and doing so can result in a fine.
Vietnam has been a favorite for years – it’s not only a cheap places to travel but also a beautiful, varied, and adventure-filled country with food to die for. You can get by with only a basic food budget if you are willing to brave the markets and enjoy the impressive variety and fresh produce available. Sightseeing tours are an excellent way to explore a country famous for its breathtaking scenery and renowned unspoiled beaches. You’ll find many private and domestic guesthouses for rent in Saigon. Additionally, several options for budget accommodation in other cities such as Danang, Da Nang, and NhaTrang.
Tips for visiting Vietnam
- If you’re going to be in a busy and crowded area, it’s best to pay attention to your belongings.
- It’s important to remember that everything in Vietnam is negotiable, prices drop quickly, and you can bargain down to an acceptable rate.
- Expect stop-and-go traffic. Traffic is very heavy during rush hour. Make sure you have a helmet for your motorbike ride around the city.
- Vietnam has an eclectic culture, full of art and craft. When you go shopping, look for textiles, tapestry, and lovely lacquered pieces.
3. South Africa
South Africa is extensive and varied. It’s also one of the most beautiful countries encompassing searing deserts, lush wetlands, brilliant beaches, and towering snow-capped mountains. You can find great deals and offers throughout the year to this cheap place to travel. However, it becomes a lot easier to find cheap flights and accommodation options from October to February. The first few months of the year are also another time where you can book cheap tickets. South Africa has a wealth of wildlife and this means that you could go on safaris every day and never see the same animal. There is also a wide range of landscapes, which include beaches, mountains and forests.
Tips for visiting South Africa
- There are many rare bird species that you will see if you come with a pair of binoculars.
- Tourist-looking people are an easy target for pickpockets and other criminals. If you go out at night, be aware of your surroundings and stick to populated areas. Even when in a big group, you should still stay alert while walking around. You can also check if someone has an arrest record in Lookupinmate.org.
- Beyond the large malls and souvenir shops, there are smaller shops in all corners of South Africa. Street corners, flea markets, and other spots like that can also be fantastic for shopping! You can buy art, beadwork, and locally-made clothing from itinerant vendors in the streets of South Africa.
- Avoid shaking hands with South African women; it’s safer to wait for them to extend their hands first. When visiting someone’s home, be sure to bring a gift for the host.
- South Africa has many nightclubs spread across its cities, which makes it a premier destination for fun-loving people. You can dance your night away at several clubs in cities.
Uruguay is a small but mighty country in South America. Excellent value for money makes this country more affordable than its neighbors Argentina and Brazil – but there’s no lack of history, culture, or attractions. From pot smoking to some fantastic landscapes, the country has a beautiful culture that you would like to experience. Uruguay has many great destinations to visit, from coral atolls to rainforests, sandy beaches, and hill country countryside. Tourists from all over come to enjoy its striking volcanoes, rich colonial history, and unique lifestyle of this cheap places to travel.
Tips for visiting Uruguay
- It’s best to carry small-denomination bills with you, as most taxi drivers and business owners don’t accept large bills.
- Drug use and possession of small amounts for personal use have been decriminalized, but sale is still a crime.
- Getting travel insurance is an absolute must because medical treatment can be high-priced.
- Try learning a few basic Spanish words to converse with. Locals don’t speak much English here.
- While greeting people around you, it’s good to know the most common greetings. Uruguayans use “HOLA” as a greeting.
- Uruguayan artists produce some of South America’s finest jewelry, leather goods, and paintings. Shopping in Montevideo, Punta del Este and Colonia del Sacramento can be fun.
- Most of the accommodation consists of dorm-style apartments/hotels with shared bathrooms. Most have basic kitchen facilities but are very spartan with no decorations or huge TV screens; just fabulous settings for relaxing and catching up with friends or family.
Mexico has long been a favorite of budget travelers and arguably one of the most accessible places to get around. With its fascinating history, stunning nature and friendly people this is an excellent choice for a cheap holiday abroad that’ll provide ample opportunities to have a ball. Mexico is a country filled with history, culture, and mariachi music. It is also a place where you can let your hair down and enjoy yourself while getting some well-earned time out. There are many Mexican holiday destinations to choose from, but the best cheap place to travel is Cancun. Cancun has access to some of the most beautiful beaches globally and has everything else you’d need for a typical beach holiday – nightclubs, restaurants, bars, etc.
Tips for visiting Mexico
- Going to ATMs at night is a great way to get robbed, so it’s best to avoid that. You can get better deals on products and services if you pay in pesos rather than dollars.
- Mexico is a country with intricate and ancient cultural roots – from the Maya and Aztec civilizations to the modern-day. Taxco has some exotic jewelry shops that are well worth checking out, and it’s a great place to pick up some souvenirs.
- There are no dress codes in Mexico, but it is best to dress less conspicuously to avoid being robbed.
- Throughout Mexico, tipping is a customary practice if you are happy with a service provider’s work. Tips from tourists comprise a significant portion of income for workers in the tourism industry.
- Mexican cuisine is very spicy, and the ingredients include red and white meats, potatoes, beans, corn, and wheat. Tacos, burritos, enchiladas, tamales, and pozole are most commonly found across the country.
- Mexican cities exude the excitement and energy of their people. The nightlife has something for everyone, who is only too happy to party all night long.
Travelling can be an expensive business, but not if you know a few ways to save. With the correct information and a little bit of know-how, you can make traveling as cheap as possible for yourself and others. You don’t have to be an expert budget traveler to find great value in cheap places to travel. Just follow a few simple rules, and you’ll increase your odds of discovering unique new destinations.