Well, some people literally start salivating when they hear the name fish curry rice! It is a staple diet for many people but alongside it comes with a lot of emotions. In fact, if you live towards the North of India, you wouldn’t be familiar with the emotion! However, since we believe in diversity, why not check out some excellent ways how this nutritious and of course, delicious!
Let’s check out more about fish curry rice in the segments below!
Introducing Fish Curry Rice
Fish curry is an Indian recipe made with fresh tomatoes, fresh onions, garlic, ginger, herbs, and other spices. It is delicious, easy to make, and flavorful. It is a favorite curry of seafood lovers. Although seafood lovers generally love it, it is preferred by many Asians as well.
Also, one can make fish curry with any fish available. Although it tastes better with freshwater fish, one can also choose to make it with any river water fish, but not everyone has a choice since it is not available everywhere. The fish curry is a versatile dish and can be enjoyed with roti, steamed rice, paratha, naan, jeera rice, etc. Fish curry and steamed rice are generally consumed together. It is the staple diet of many Indians since it’s a great combination and is nutritious. Fish curry and rice are consumed almost everywhere.
Origin of Fish curry Rice
Fish curry is also known as Malabar matthi curry, and it is an Indian Goan dish. This staple diet is very famous in Sri Lanka, Kerala, Goa, and also in West Bengal, where rice is the staple diet. The place of origin of this diet is Tamil Nadu and Kerala, India. This famous South Indian dish is also a delicacy in China. But the only difference is they make it with only fish heads, and it is called Fish head curry.
Portion size- 240g
|% Daily Percentage|
|Total Carbohydrate||16g 6%|
|Dietary Fiber||3.4g 12%|
|Total Fat||13g 17%|
|Saturated Fat||3.1g 16%|
|Vitamin D||0.20mcg 1%|
(The daily percent values are counted for 2000 calories per day diet)
Fish Curry and Rice Which State Food?
This dish is famous in especially Sri Lanka, Goa, Kerala, and West Bengal. Fish curry and rice are prepared at places where rice is a staple food. Fish curry is also a very popular dish in the Malabar region in Kerala. It is served with ghee rice or Kerala Porotta.
Also, West Bengal and Orissa boast of “maccher jhol,” which is prepared with tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger and are garnished with coriander leaves. It is generally rich in gravy, oil and very rich in taste. Moving to the south, Kerala, Malabar curry is very famous and is made with sardines. Here the fish is semi-stewed and goes well with bread and rice.
Kerala is renowned for its Fish Head Curry. It is made of the head of red snapper. In Goa as well, fish curry is consumed. They consume Kingfish, Pomfret, tuna, Mackerel. In Goa, Fish curry is called Humann and rice, also called Kadi or Ambot.
In Kashmir, fish curry is made as well, but with different ingredients. Fish curry is, thus, widely consumed by almost all of India. But, it is mostly consumed in the places where rice is the staple food, and it is consumed by people who live in the coastal regions. Fish curry is also mass-produced and packed in cans and is sent around.
Fish curry rice recipe
Let’s check out the following:
- 1tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4-5 fish fillets
- 1-2 onions, nicely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- One tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white sugar
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- ½ fennel seeds
- 1-2 tsp red chili powder
- ½ garam masala
- Green chilies
- Curry leaves
How to make?
- The first step is to marinate the fish.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, red chili, turmeric, very little salt, and make a mixture of these first.
- Coat the fish nicely with the mixture.
- Leave it aside for 30 minutes.
- Now heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, make sure to put it on a medium flame.
- Add cumin and then the chopped onions, fry it until the onions are golden.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry it for another 30 seconds.
- Now the ginger garlic should be fried until it loses its root smell, the garlic ginger one.
- When they turn fragrant, one can add tomatoes and half tsp salt.
- Fry it nicely until the raw smell goes away.
- After that, add coconut (optional), turmeric, fennel seeds, red chili powder.
- The onion masala must taste good and smell good as well, so one must keep frying until the raw smell is gone. But one must also not overcook it. Otherwise, it will burn.
- After it is done, one can put it away and let it cool down completely
- The marinated fish needs to be fried now. So, heat a pan with 1 tsp oil.
- Put the fish in the oil and fry it until the ginger garlic smell is gone.
- After the fish is nicely cooked and fried, put it aside and let it cool down.
- After the onion masala mixture after it is cooled down completely, put it in a blender and blend it. One can also add 2-3 tbsp water.
- One should blend the mixture into a smooth paste or coarse, which depends on one’s choice.
How to use the mixture?
- Keep the mixture aside now.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and heat it on a low flame.
- When the oil has turned hot, add the curry leaves and the green chilies. Let it splutter.
- After it has spluttered, add the pasta and mix it well.
- Add a pinch of garam masala and ½ salt. One can also add more red chili or green chili as per taste.
- One must fry it until it smells good.
- Pour ¼ cup of water and mix it nicely enough to have a lump-free gravy.
- On a medium flame, boil the gravy until the oil begins to separate and the gravy thickens. It might take 5-10 minutes.
- One can also check the salt and spice at this point and add if it is necessary. One can also use tamarind if wanted if it is not enough to sour from the tomatoes.
- After the gravy becomes thick, add the fried fish and cook for another few minutes.
- Keep flipping the fishes so that they don’t stick to the pan.
- After it is cooked nicely.
- One can garnish it with coriander leaves if desired or green chili.
- Serve the fish curry with rice or chapati as desired.
Rice Nutritional Value
|Total carbohydrate||28g 9%|
|Dietary fiber||0.4g 1%|
|Protein||2.7g 5 %|
Rice preparation is easy, and rice can be consumed with everything. It is prepared in many parts of the world.
Here are the simple steps to prepare rice:
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup of rice
- 11/2 cups of water
How to make?
- Put water in the saucepan and bring it to boil,
- Put the rice and the salt in it.
- Boil it over medium heat for some time.
- Reduce the heat, simmer it well until the rice becomes tender.
- Boil it for 16 to 18 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and let it stand for some time.
- Strain the water nicely.
- The rice is ready to be served.
Thus, both the rice and fish curry are ready and can be served together. They do make one perfect combination.
BENGALI FISH CURRY ORDER ONLINE
Even though Bengali fish curry can be made at home, one can also order online at Kolkata.
One can order in Zomato. Zomato provides one with a wide range of dishes. It allows one to choose their own restaurant and order one’s desirable wish. In Kolkata, Zomato is available in almost every part of the city, so one need not worry about it. Since Kolkata is famous for its fish curry and rice, one can easily find fish curry online.
Curry pot is a famous restaurant in Kolkata, and its services are available online. It is famous for its Bengali thali. Its services are available online, in Zomato, Swiggy, etc. So one can easily find fish curry online.
One can order online in Wow Bangla. It is famous for its Bengali dishes. One can order here from Swiggy and avail of its sources. One can easily get Bengali fish curry online here.
This famous Bengali restaurant also provides fish curry. One can opt for takeaway or delivery here. This restaurant is famous for its Bengali cuisine. One can thus order fish curry online here.
This famous restaurant also offers Bengali cuisine. It also has an option of takeaway and delivery both. Thus, one can find Bengali Fish curry online here as well.
Swiggy Fish Curry
Swiggy is an online food delivery app. Not everyone has the time to make fish curry at home. Swiggy offers one to choose their own restaurant and own dish at reasonable prices.
- Saima Restaurant, fish curry is available at Rs 70
- New Punjabi Hotel Ajanta, two pieces of fish curry is available at Rs 110
- Maa Annapurna Ranna Ghar, rohu fish curry is available at Rs 80
- Curry Pot, two pieces of fish curry is available at Rs 160
- Story of food, fish curry is available at Rs 70
- Bhupen Cabin, fish curry is available at Rs 70.
Best Fish Curry Near me
Kolkata is known for its famous fish cuisines. Bengalis just cannot happen to live without Fish curry, and rice. Here are some restaurants which offer the best fish curries near me.
Bhojohori Manna is a very famous restaurant in Kolkata. It is known for its specialty in Bengali cuisines. In Kolkata, there are 11 outlets, and they also have opened a restaurant in Mumbai, Puri, and Bangalore. This shows their quality and love for Bengali food. The restaurants also give off a Bengali vibe, and the dishes are served as homecooked dishes.
Contact No- 9836304332
Kopai (Heritage Bengali Cuisine Restaurant )
This is a very cozy and inexpensive restaurant, and it is famous for its fish dishes. The restaurant also plays Rabindra sangeet in the background, which gives off a good Bengali vibe.
Contact No- 033 30859089
This is one of the largest chains in Kolkata. These restaurants focus on serving Bengali dishes. And it has maintained its fine dining quality. It can be a bit costly, but it is worth it.
Contact- 033 22517036
This is a restaurant that usually caters to fish, and it is a great place to go, especially for those who are seafood lovers. Here it is very hard to choose which fish curry to order since their fish curries section is remarkable. This place also provides a rare variety of fishes like boal, parshe.
Contact no- 033 40605500
The place provides a great ambiance, and it provides lavish Bengali cuisine. Here the spicy fish curry is just great and gets one weak in the knees. They have a fish menu just for the fish lovers. It is also set in the heritage building of the former Rai Bahadur. Thus, it gives off a vibe along with taste and quality.
Contact No- 033 24603922
This is a 63-year-old restaurant and gives the flavor of Bengali cuisine on a plate. It is known around Kolkata for its famous seafood. Also, one must be formally dressed if visiting the restaurant, and shorts aren’t allowed.
Contact no- 033 22654300
Koshe kosha is a perfect restaurant for fish lovers. It is themed as a rustic-looking village, and it plays Rabindra sangeet, which gives off a Bengali vibe.
Contact no- 9830949494
As we come to the end of our blog today, we hope you know what the fish curry rice is all about! So, go ahead and try out this delicacy and we’re sure you will fall in love with.
Also, we have mentioned some places near me that you are sure to love! However, with the ongoing pandemic you might find it uncomfortable to visit the places. But thanks to online services! And don’t forget to let us know how you liked the taste.